25 Apr 2017

 
  

February 22, 2017 - Filed under: Antique Cabinets — admin

Collinson & Lock was established in the 1860s by F.G. Collinson and G.J. Lock, who worked for Jackson & Graham, a firm famous for its machine-made marquetry furniture. They were one of the foremost producers of Aesthetic and Art Nouveau furniture in London. A large collection of their work is on display at the V & A museum, including an antique cabinet shown at the 1871 London International Exhibition.

Collinson & Lock also produced some outstanding international exhibition pieces. An ebonised antique cabinet, shown at the London International Exhibition in 1871, was purchased for the V & A museum in the same year, other versions being shown in Vienna and America. At the 1878 Paris Exposition, they exhibited a number of Anglo-Japanese pieces by E.W Godwin, their most important designer, leading to international recognition.

Late Victorian Rosewood Brass Inlaid Cabinet Collinson Locke 020 copy

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/3687/A-Fine-Quality-Late-Victorian-Brass-Inlaid-Rosewood-Display-Cabinet-By-Collinson-Lock-Of-London-C1890-1900.aspx

June 19, 2012 - Filed under: Antique Cabinets,Edwards & Roberts Of London — Mandy

Edwards & Roberts were founded in 1845. Their premises were 21 Wardour Street, London. They occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street by 1892, and successfully continued to trade there until the end of the Century.

Edwards & Roberts became one of the most leading  cabinet makers and retailers in London, with a variety of styles including modern and revivalist. They also restored furniture on the premises. They specialised in marquetry inlay and ormolu, and there are many examples of their earlier furniture with later embellishments bearing their stamp “Edwards & Roberts”.

Wardour Street became an important furniture retailing area in the second half of the 19th Century. The firm carried a fine and complete library of the old desigers i.e Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Adam.

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/521/A-Stunning-Quality-Victorian-Period-Mahogany-Antique-Display-Cabinet-By-Edwards-Roberts-C1890-1900.aspx

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/1644/A-Stunning-Quality-Late-Victorian-Mahogany-Inlaid-Antique-Desk-By-Edwards-Roberts-Of-London-C1890.aspx

Chrstian Davies Antiques have many examples of Edwards & Roberts furniture in stock

 

May 16, 2012 - Filed under: Antique Cabinets — Mandy

Collinson & Lock were one of the foremost producers of Aesthetic and Art Nouveau furniture in London. A large collection of their work is on display at the V & A museum, including an antique cabinet shown at the 1871 London International Exhibition.

The company was established in the 1860s by F.G. Collinson and G.J. Lock, who worked for Jackson & Graham, a firm famous for its machine-made antique marquetry furniture . This was to become a feature of Collinson & Lock’s own work.

Art Nouveau antique dining chairs and exhibition antique cabinets

Collinson & Lock achieved early success, employing some of the leading designers of the Aesthetic Art Movement. This included the architect T.E.Collcutt, who designed their new premises, and J Moyr-Smith, who was assistant to Christopher Dresser and produced an impressive catalogue of their furniture in 1871. Other names associated with the firm include Stephen Webb (their senior designer); H.W. Batley and A.H. Mackmurdo – a precursor of his Art Nouveau Victorian dining chairs is on display in the V & A.

In 1873 the company moved to St Bride Street, experimenting with new materials and techniques. Their antique marquetry furniture, incorporating rosewood, ivory and Pietre Dure marble mosaics – a 16th century Renaissance art form – is an example of this. Antique dealers in Preston and Lancashire see their intricate Italianate arabesques, scrolling foliage and carved figures as indicative of Stephen Webb, who together with H. Batley worked on the new Savoy Theatre in 1881. By contrast, the company also produced furniture for G.E Street’s Royal Courts of Justice.

Collinson & Lock also produced some outstanding international exhibition pieces. An ebonised antique cabinet, shown at the London International Exhibition in 1871, was purchased for the V & A museum in the same year, other versions being shown in Vienna and America. At the 1878 Paris Exposition, they exhibited a number of Anglo-Japanese pieces by E.W Godwin, their most important designer, leading to international recognition.

In 1885 they bought Jackson & Graham, but it was not a success and in 1897 they were themselves taken over by E. W Godwin of Lancaster. They continued producing fine furniture, however, and in Lancashire their antique cabinets, Victorian dining chairs and antique desks regularly turn up in antique shops.

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/1426/A-Fine-Late-Victorian-Rosewood-Antique-Display-Cabinet-By-Collinson-Lock-C1880-1890.aspx

May 14, 2012 - Filed under: Antique Cabinets — Mandy

Ormolu derives from the French “or moulu”, ground gold, meaning the gold leaf used for gilding metals. Strictly speaking the term applies to cast bronze items which were subsequently finely chiselled and fire-gilt, but the word has come to be applied to all gilt-bronze objects including those which were dipped in acid and finely lacquered, and to a gold coloured alloy of copper, zinc and tin.

The high point of ormolu craftsmanship was in the latter half of the 18th Century when exquisite pieces were produced, the most common items being candlesticks, mounts for porcelain and furniture, fire dogs, clock cases, wall sconces and chandeliers.

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/1547/An-Exhibition-Quality-Victorian-Burr-Walnut-Tulip-wood-And-Ormolu-Mounted-Pier-Cabinet-C1870-1880.aspx

A fine example of beautiful ormolu mounts

May 12, 2012 - Filed under: Antique Cabinets — Mandy

With a warehouse that was one of the “sites of London”, Maple & Co was once the largest furniture retailer and manufacturer in the world, attracting visitors from near and far. The company was most prolific in the late Victorian and Edwardian era, specialising in fine quality Arts & Crafts Furniture, designed and produced in their own workshops. However, they continued producing fine quality furniture up until the 1980s.

Maple & Co was established by John Maple, a shopkeeper from Horley, Surrey, who later opened a furniture shop in Tottenham Court Road. However it was his son, John Blundell Maple , who made Maples & Co a success. With exceptional business skills, John B. Maple took over the company while still a young man. By the 1880s they were the largest furniture store in the world, exported their fine furniture to every continent.

antique desks with a racing chance

Maples manufactured their luxury furniture entirely in-house, at a huge modern complex. A timber importer and furniture exporter, they landed prestigious contracts furnishing fine houses, hotels, embassies and palaces in Europe; among them Tsar Nicholas’s Winter Palace and the Hofburg Imperial Palace in Vienna . With his own empire established, John Blundell Maple achieved further fame in politics and horse racing – some lines, such as the Atherstoke antique cabinet, having racing connections in the titles.
Never compromising on quality, Maples produced a huge catalogue of fine furniture, covering every avenue of interior design. A Maples & Co sale today would cover everything from Chippendale Revival antique dining chairs , to Aesthetic style carved oak dressers, to Art Nouveau tulip carved antique dining tables – all from the same catalogue.

antique cabinets that never age

The exclusivity and high quality of craftsmanship of Maples’ antique cabinets, dining suites and bedroom furniture made them highly popular with Britain’s social elite. Today, they appeal to anyone who appreciates fine craftsmanship.

In 1905, Maples advertised a pedestal desk as a “writing table fitted for the typewriter”. Today, office users in Preston will find antique desks with the Maples emblem described as computer desks. The true quality of Maples Arts & Crafts Furniture, for Preston buyers, is in its timelessness.

Below: A fine example of An Edwardian mahogany Inlaid Display Cabinet

http://www.christiandaviesantiques.co.uk/CurrentStock/tabid/124/AntiqueType/View/Antique-ID/1641/An-Edwardian-Period-Mahogany-Inlaid-Antique-Display-Cabinet-By-Maples-Of-London-C1900-1910.aspx

Copyright © 2016 by Christian Davies Antiques Ltd RSS Feed | Sitemap | XML Sitemap | Authors
Copyright 2016 by Christian Davies Antiques Ltd
  
Website Template Design by Whalley Websites | Internet Marketing by Engage Web